2013 Santa Monica 5000 Raises More Than $90,000
Posted Oct. 13, 2013, 9:41 am
Brenton Garen / Editor-in-Chief
In a morning of rising temperatures and Santa Ana winds, San Diegan Scott Bauhs turned on the heat in the final 100m to win the eight annual Santa Monica 5000 5k last Sunday, Oct. 6.
Bauhs (14:37.0) held off David Sanchez (14:37.4), Santa Monica Track Club member Tonny Okello (14:38) and Isidore Herrera (14:38), for the win, all finishing within 1.4 seconds of each other.
The women’s 5k division was won by fellow San Diegan Natasha Labeaud (16:41).
Lisa Ohberg (17:05) and Tracee Van Der Wyk (17:20) rounded out the top 3. Santa Monica Police Officer Erika Aklufi (17:39, 4th place) provided another outstanding performance, even after she and a group of other 5k women runners fell shortly after the start.
The 10k races were won by athletes who train in the higher altitudes of the Southwest.
Nicolas Hilton (30:39), from Flagstaff, AZ, easily won the men's division, as did Lauren Kleppin (35:24) from Mammoth Lakes, CA. Kleppin also set a new 10k women’s record with her win.
“The races were spectacular from start to finish,” said event director Brennan Lindner, Generic Events. “To have this caliber of elite athletes from around the world showcase their talents was a treat for the runners and residents of Santa Monica. Our local participation was tremendous - we had close to 1300 runners and walkers raising money for the Santa Monica and Malibu Public schools. It was amazing.”
Race morning was sunny, with temperatures getting warmer by the minute, due to October’s Santa Ana winds.
One unique aspect of the event is the involvement of Santa Monica–Malibu schools, where sports teams and PE departments raise money for their team. Rachel Faulkner, Program and Events Director of the Santa Monica-Malibu Education Foundation, said, “The Education Foundation is so excited by the success of the Santa Monica 5000."
"Close to 1,300 participants from SMMUSD schools collectively raised over $90,000 for school athletic programs," she said. "It was an incredible community event that celebrated athletics in our schools. We are grateful for our partnership with Generic Events for making this fundraising event possible for the Education Foundation and our school district.”
1. Scott Bauhs 14:37.0 San Diego, CA $300
2. David Sanchez 14:37.4 Alamosa, CO $200
3. Tonny Okello 14:38.0 Santa Monica, CA $100
4. Isidore Herrera 14:38.4 Ventura, CA
1. Natasha Labeaud 16:41.3 San Diego, CA $300
2. Lisa Ohberg 17:05.9 Los Angeles $200
3. Tracee Van Der Wyk 17:20.2 Temple City, CA $100
4. Erika Aklufi 17:39.5 Los Angeles, CA
1. Nicholas Hilton 30:39.2 Flagstaff, AZ $300
2. Forest Braden 30:57.5 Beverly Hills, CA $200
3. Anthony Solis 31:13.4 Barstow, CA $100
1. Lauren Kleppin 35:24.8* Mammoth Lakes, CA $300
2. Katja Goldring 36:03.5 Los Angeles, CA $200
3. Natasha Labeaud 37:07.1 San Diego, CA $100