The S.S. Lane Victory located at Berth 94 in San Pedro is one of more than 530 Victory cargo ships built late in World War II, to replace the hundreds of Merchant Marine ships that were lost in enemy attacks.
The Lane was built at CalShip in Wilmington, launched in June, 1945, and went to sea early in July, steaming to Port Hueneme to take on a load of munitions and other supplies for the Admiralty Islands. The war ended the following month.
Called to serve again during the Korean war, the Lane ferried troops and evacuated 7,000 Korean civilians as the Communist troops advanced on Inchon. It was called to duty for the third time during the Viet Nam war to haul munitions.
In 1969, the ship was laid up in Suisun Bay.
Today, the restored Lane Victory, now 60 years old, is a fully operational, sea-going ship, a memorial to the men of the Merchant Marine and Naval Armed Guard who lost their lives at sea in time of war.
Carrying full wartime armament, it makes summer day cruises off Catalina that are punctuated by a simulated aerial attack at sea, and end with Stearman “flybys” and a Los Angeles Fireboat water display.
The cruise also includes food, music and engine room tours, and a glimpse of life as it was at sea four decades ago.
Upcoming cruise dates are August 13 or 14 and September 10 or 11. For information call: (310) 519-9545, or visit www.lanevictory.orgVolunteers are also needed to do a variety of jobs. To learn more, call Jan Michaelis, Volunteer, S.S. Lane Victory (562)799-0455.