Dr. Maoshing Ni
Mirror Contributing Writer
Question: I have unbelievable allergies. My nose is stuffed up and dripping and I’m coughing a dry, hacking cough. What can I do?
Answer: First of all, avoid all dairy products, raw foods including salads, and iced drinks. Second, do not leave your hair wet after a shower; dry it thoroughly, and avoid drafts to the head. Third, always get at least eight hours of sleep a night; rest is very important for the immune system. These are some practical remedies for dry cough:
1. Take a white pear, cut it in half and core it. Place crushed walnuts and sprinkled ground cinnamon in the core of the pear; drizzle with honey. Place the pear in toaster for five minutes and eat before bed.
2. Take daikon, add maltose (sugar) and steam. Eat two to three times per day.
3. Drink dandelion and licorice tea or scallion and basil tea.
Question: What is the best natural way to lose weight?
Answer: The best natural way to weight management is through balanced physical activity and proper nutrition. I caution you against becoming sedentary; pick up a sport, such as golfing, hiking, swimming, or any other number of activities that can provide the necessary cardiovascular stimulation and calorie burning to maintain a well-balanced metabolism. Additionally, follow these simple steps:
1. Avoid fad diets and fast-acting solutions that guarantee incredible weight loss while you watch television and eat desserts.
2. Eat five times per day, half of the portion that you were originally consuming per meal. Your last meal of the day should be no later than 7pm.
3. Eliminate sugars and increase your water intake to 60oz. Keep dairy to a minimum. Walk 30 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening, two hours before bed. For toning you might replace one of the walks with some stretching with activities such as Tai Chi or a mild form of Yoga.