This information is provided for the safety of our community. We ask residents to share this information with each other.
• Lock your doors and windows even when you will only be gone for a short period of time. Windows that are partially open should have a lock to prevent someone from fully opening the window and climbing in.
• Do not keep your cash and jewelry in predictable places (nightstands, drawers). Purchasing a safe is a better alternative.
• Move valuables (laptops, purse) away from outside view (windows) so you don’t risk tempting someone.
• Lock your garage at all times. It should be secured with a good hardened-steel hasp and padlock.
• Make your house look occupied when you are gone. Burglars are much less likely to consider a house they feel is occupied.
• Use variable timers to turn your lights and radio/television on and off. Set your radio to a talk radio station. This keeps anyone casing your home guessing.
• If you have an alarm system, be sure to use it. Like other safety measures, it is a deterrent.
• Be cognizant of suspicious activity. Trust your instincts. If someone seems suspicious in your neighborhood, do not hesitate to call the police.
• If you think you have been burglarized, and someone may still be in your home, do not investigate on your own. Go to a neighbor’s home and call 9-1-1. Let a police officer ensure your safety.
Start or join a neighborhood watch. Your neighbors are your best allies. They may be able to see a burglar before you ever know someone is attempting to enter your home. And as a neighbor, you should not try to confront the suspect. We prefer that you call 9-1-1 and provide our Communications Center as much information as possible to help our officers locate the suspect.
Call 9-1-1 if a crime is in progress. For non-emergencies, please call the Communications Center at (310) 458-8491.
Be sure to contact the Community Relations office if you wish to have a Crime Prevention Coordinator conduct a Security Survey of your home or business or assist you in starting a Neighborhood Watch in your area. To set up an appointment, call 310.458.8474. For more information and additional safety tips, visit the Crime Prevention Safety Tips sections on our website at www.santamonicapd.org.