This Mother’s Day, show your mother how much you care by sharing with her these 5 vital ways to increase her health and longevity!
1. Exercise Every Day
As women age, they need more than ever to protect their bones and joints. Consider the benefits of a daily walk, at least 20 minutes every day. This will not only help your mother stay fit and build her bones, but it is also a wonderful way to reflect and clear the mind.
Swimming is a great form of cardiovascular exercise, and although it is not considered a weight-bearing activity, it can also help fight osteoporosis. Better still, water acts as the perfect cushion for joints, which is great for those suffering from worn hips and knees. Additionally, gentle energy-boosting exercises like tai chi and yoga are essential for a flourishing anti-aging exercise program.
2. Drink Fresh Water Frequently
Water is essential for everyone. Our body requires a certain amount to maintain our blood osmotic levels, provide a medium for circulating and excreting waste products, and to cleanse our internal tissues. Centenarians around the world give credit to their native water sources for their health and long lives; the scientists agree!
What they all have in common is a source of pure water located far from any city, free from chemicals and toxins. Of the filtered water options, my favorite water filter is Aquasana; the best filtration processes are the ones that use activated charcoal, which removes the impurities but leaves the water-soluble minerals. At least eight glasses of clean, pure water should be consumed every day.
3. Treat Your Mother to Tea Time
In addition to being a delicious, low-calorie beverage, tea is the beverage most commonly enjoyed by centenarians around the world. Tea possesses free-radical inhibiting properties more potent than even vitamin E and also helps prevent and treat hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis). The polyphenols in tea, especially the catechins, are powerful antioxidants that help protect against cancer and diabetes. Drink up!
4. Rejuvenate with Anti-aging Foods
When your mother told you to always eat your greens, she was looking out for your health. Now let her know how much you care about her by sharing with her these top life-extending, anti-aging foods:
• Soy contains phytoestrogen, which is a plant form of estrogen that improves the body’s hormonal balance and protects women from breast cancer. Soy is also rich in genistein, which protects against osteoporosis and other aging symptoms. Foods that are made with soy include tofu, bean curd, soymilk, soy yogurt, miso, tempeh, and the actual bean pod itself.
• Leafy green vegetables like spinach, collards, chard, kale, mustard greens, parsley and seaweed all contain much needed calcium and other trace minerals for bone health, as well as phytosterol activities that help balance and support the hormonal system.
• Yams and sweet potatoes are powerhouse foods that contain higher amounts of beta-carotene and vitamin C than carrots, more protein than wheat and rice, and more fiber than oat bran. They are also rich in DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) – a precursor hormone that is essential for the body’s anti-aging defenses to work.
• Just a handful of nuts and seeds every day can help improve circulation and muscle tone. Research indicates that many of these nuts and seeds are rich sources of vitamin E, lignans and omega-3 fatty acids, which can help prevent heart disease and the ravages of aging.
• Deep-sea fish, such as salmon, sea bass, halibut, tuna, and mackerel are rich sources of omega-3 essential fatty acids (EFA), which are crucial to hormone production and also protect the heart and blood vessels.
5. Laugh for a Long Life
Additionally, protecting your mother’s health can be fun! Recall a comical family story or a funny family joke. Research tells us that laughter and joy boost immune functions, especially the production of the natural killer cells that help protect the body from illness and cancer. Laughter will also increase your mother’s release of endorphins, which are compounds in the brain that give her a warm and fuzzy sense of wellbeing.
I hope you celebrate your mother’s long and healthy life! May you Live Long, Live Strong, and Live Happy! And may all our mothers live to 100 in good health!
Dr. Mao Shing Ni, best known as Dr. Mao, is a bestselling author, doctor of Oriental Medicine and board certified anti-aging expert. He practices acupuncture, nutrition and Chinese medicine with his associates at the Tao of Wellness in Santa Monica, a Wellness Medicine group that won the “L.A.’s Best” Award. Dr. Mao and his brother, Dr. Daoshing Ni founded Tao of Wellness in Santa Monica over 25 years ago. In addition, he is the cofounder and Chancellor of Yo San University in Venice/Marina del Rey. To subscribe to a free newsletter please visit www.taoofwellness.com To make an appointment for evaluation and treatment please call 310.917.2200 or you can email Dr. Mao at firstname.lastname@example.org