The Santa Monica Community College District is seeking applications for an appointment to a seat on the Santa Monica Community College District Personnel Commission.
The appointment will be effective Jan. 1, 2014 for a three-year term through Dec. 1, 2016.
This appointment is being made to replace Dolores Press, who has served as a Personnel Commissioner since 1998.
The five-member SMC Personnel Commission is the public body responsible for the administration of the college’s Merit System, a civil service system for classified employees and for fostering the advancement of a career service for such employees.
To execute these responsibilities, the State Education Code provides that the Personnel Commissioners shall classify positions; hear appeals of disciplinary and dismissal matters, and protests involving examinations, selection and appointment procedures; and prescribe rules related to a variety of personnel practices.
The application deadline is December 2, 2013.
To qualify for appointment to the Santa Monica College Personnel Commission, the applicant:
• Must be a registered voter and resident of the Santa Monica Community College District, which encompasses Santa Monica and Malibu.
• Must support the concept of employment, continuance in employment, in-service promotional opportunities and other related matters on the basis of merit and fitness.
Personnel Commissioners have the following responsibilities:
• The Personnel Commission ensures that classified employees receive fair and equitable treatment.
• Personnel Commissions represent the public’s interest by providing a personnel system dedicated to the hiring and retaining of the best-qualified employees.
• Personnel Commissions work in cooperation with the governing board and administrators in the quest for competent employees and good personnel administration.
The current Personnel Commissioners will review all applications and make the final appointments.
Application instructions may be obtained on the Santa Monica College website at www.smc.edu/jobs or from the Personnel Commission Office by calling 310.434.4410.
For additional information on responsibilities of Personnel Commissioners, go to www.smc.edu/HumanResources/PersonnelCommission/Pages/default.aspx.