They say that New Year is a time for reflection on the things you’ve accomplished or did not this year and for setting new goals and expectations for the next year.
2013 was big for me. Lots to be thankful for in my 54th year of being alive.
I wrote a food column for a local online newspaper, called “Good Taste.” This led to my blog called “Good Taste LA,” covering not only food but anything or anyone that is in good taste!
I started this column, Hot Flash Universe, for The Mirror on my birthday in May. One of the best things I ever did. Thanks TJ! Now the column is going to run in all TJ’s papers starting this month – Brentwood News and Century City News. So exciting. (It was mentioned on Jay Leno a few months ago. I think we’re on to something!)
Our City TV Show “Santa Monica Plus” won a regional cable programming award. Thanks to Robin and her staff, as well as producer Dienna and my co-host Dr. Flinders!
I hosted a cooking show for the summer season on City TV. It was a great experience – I learned a lot from talented home cooks as my guests.
I am now co-hosting a segment on City TV’s news show. It’s with Sergeant Mike from the Santa Monica Animal Shelter. We bring the most loving, sweetest dogs on air for a chance for them to find their forever homes. Viewers have adopted at least three of them so far!
I also adopted a beautiful rescue dog – a white Maltese I named Zoey. She is the love of my life!
I starting weight training to help strengthen the muscles around my lower back, to help alleviate the pain from a herniated disk I got from over-training for the LA Marathon. Not only does my back no longer hurt, I am stronger than I have been in at least 10 years. My multi-talented personal trainer also turned me on to photography – they say it helps the brain stay in shape. Thanks, Fabian!
I was voted in as a Santa Monica Rotary Board Member for a two-year stint beginning July 2014. In addition, Orchestra Santa Monica chose me to serve on their Board. Thanks, fellow colleagues and Rotarians for your trust in me!
I further discovered the power of the Universe, through Naam Yoga. It’s amazing practice I will learn more about in 2014.
2014 will be even bigger. This is the year I turn (gulp) 55! To me, it means I now need to grow up. Not grow older! Grow up.
Recently, I took a test on the Internet, to determine my emotional age. Mine clocked in at a youthful 27 years old.
I am committed to continue to have a life filled with love, beauty, laughter, goofy, fun times and interesting one-of-a-kind experiences. And, I am also committed to my health this year. As I age, I want to be the healthiest I can be to continue to act like a 27-year-old.
My “bucket list” of resolutions for 2014 include:
• Continuing weight training two days a week.
• Walk at least 30 minutes every day (Zoey will help me with that).
• Cut down on eating typical 27-year-old foods like burgers, fries, sweets, pizza (bye-bye friends!)
• Learn to like grown-up food, like vegetables, salads, low fat proteins (worst part).
• Eat six small meals a day to help my metabolism stay active.
• Lose at least 20 pounds so I can do a bathing suit column by June of this year! (woo hoo)
• Do two Naam Yoga classes a week.
• Meditate 30 minutes, every day.
• Be kind.
• Know that wonderful things will happen every day.
• Have faith in the fact that I am exactly where I am supposed to be.
• Take photography classes.
• Take singing classes – I always wanted to perform my own cabaret! 2014 is the year.
• Take TV hosting classes – Yes, there is such a thing as TV hosting classes!
• Do better with hosting my City TV Shows.
• Get crazy with this Hot Flash Universe column!
• At least double the income of my Santa Monica-based PR business, BBPR, Inc.
• Serve as an effective leader for Santa Monica Rotary.
• Serve as an effective Board member for Orchestra Santa Monica.
Hot Flash Universe is the go-to source for women over 40 seeking insight into the hottest, most current trends, products, and issues. Topics are approached with candor, intellect, and a healthy dose of humor.
Barbara Bishop is President of Santa Monica-based BBPR, Inc. For comments or suggestions, email Barbara.email@example.com.