The Santa Monica College Music Department is pleased to present a variety of spring concerts in June in The Broad Stage or The Edye at the SMC Performing Arts Center (Santa Monica Boulevard at 11th Street, Santa Monica). The concerts include a fully staged production of “Luisa Fernanda,” one of the 20th century’s great zarzuelas (Spanish operas).
The June concerts are:
• Sunday, June 1 at 2 p.m. in The Broad Stage: SMC Wind Ensemble. Conducted by Kevin McKeown, the ensemble’s annual exciting, lighthearted “Pops” concert showcases the most memorable music from film, TV, and the Broadway stage. All ages are welcome! (Tickets are $10.)
• Tuesday, June 3 at 11:15 a.m. in The Edye: Piano Ensemble Recital. Directed by Dr. David Goodman, SMC’s advanced piano students reveal the uniqueness and diversity of four-hand piano and piano duo repertoire. Guaranteed to be more than twice as fun as solo piano performances! (FREE. Complimentary tickets are available at the SMC Music Office in Room 211 of the Performing Arts Center.)
• Thursday, June 5 at 11:15 a.m. in The Edye: SMC Percussion Ensemble Recital. Conductor Matthew Altmire leads the ensemble in a creative, unique performance of percussion music, covering a variety of styles. Free. (Complimentary tickets are available at the SMC Music Office in Room 211 of the Performing Arts Center.)
• Thursday, Friday, & Saturday, June 5, 6, & 7 at 7:30 p.m. in The Broad Stage: SMC Opera Theatre & SMC Symphony: “Luisa Fernanda.” Directed by Janelle DeStefano and James Martin, SMC Opera and SMC Symphony Orchestra combine forces to present a fully costumed production of one of the 20th century’s great zarzuelas (Spanish operas) – Federico Moreno Torroba’s “Luisa Fernanda,” a tale of love, rivalry, and politics in the revolutionary atmosphere of mid-19th century Spain – in Spanish with English supertitles. (Tickets $20/$15.)
• Sunday, June 8 at 4 p.m. in The Broad Stage: SMC Jazz Band. Conducted by Keith Fiddmont, the ensemble performs arrangements from the masters, as well as contemporary works from aspiring composers and arrangers. Renowned guest artists will join the band to explore the music of Duke Ellington, Oliver Nelson, and others. (Tickets are $10.)
• Tuesday, June 10 at 7:30 p.m. in The Broad Stage: SMC Concert Chorale. Conducted by Jeffe Huls, the ensemble performs a concert featuring Franz Schubert’s “Mass in G,” as well as a number of smaller works, including contemporary compositions and African-American spirituals. (Tickets are $10.)
For tickets and information, please go to www.smc.edu/eventsinfo or call (310) 434-3005 or (310) 435-4323.