An arriving airline passenger from Liberia, who was isolated for observation in the ebola scare, does not have the disease and left a hospital near Los Angeles International Airport on Friday night, according to a hospital spokesman.
The person had been rushed by ambulance from LAX earlier this week, and kept in isolation while tests were done at Centinela Hospital Medical Center in Inglewood.
The person was released and walked out of the hospital in Inglewood at 8 pm Friday, said spokesman Steve Brand.
“The patient, whom we were informed had traveled recently from Liberia, underwent numerous tests, which all came back negative,” said Linda Bradley, the hospital’s chief executive officer, in a statement.
No more evaluation of the patient’s condition will be necessary, the hospital said. The patient was kept in a medical isolation unit, and doctors and nurses followed strict protective protocol, while the tests were done.
Testing was also in accordance with guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, according to the hospital.
Centinela Hospital Medical Center worked closely with federal, state and county experts “to ensure that patients, their families, staff and the community were protected during the evaluation of this patient,” it said in a statement.
The 369-bed acute care hospital in Inglewood is among the closest to LAX, and it remained open for medical care as usual during the time the patient was an an isolation ward.