Flair Cleaners in Santa Monica is currently accepting donations of gently used or new clothing and shoes as part of its 12th Annual Holiday Clothing and Shoe Drive.
The drive will run through Dec. 31 when the donations will be delivered to Helping Hands for the Blind, St. Vincent de Paul’s Thrift Store, and National Council of Jewish Women Thrift Shop.
“Since starting this annual event 11 years ago, and through the generosity of our customers, local residents and businesses, we have collected more than 35,000 pounds of clothing for those in need in our communities,” said Gary Futterman, owner, Flair Cleaners. “We are proud of the generosity and spirit of giving our community has shown in the past and know that they will once again open their hearts and closets to those in need.”
Clothing and shoes can be left in the large donation bins in the lobby of each Flair location (other locations are in Burbank, Redondo Beach, Studio City, and Valencia).
While all types of clothing will be accepted, shoes, jeans and other denim products, professional clothes, and accessories such as gloves, scarves, hats, belts and purses, are needed most.
Clothing and shoes may be gently used but must be in good condition, wearable and not ready to be discarded. Receipts for tax purposes will be available from Flair associates.
Flair’s How to Clean Your Closet for Charity Tips
1. Dedicate a couple of hours to go through every item in your wardrobe.
2. Sort through your shoes first, next do accessories, tackle hanging clothes third, and finally, sort through drawers.
3. When going through clothes and shoes, consider what might be better used by others in need.
4. Ask yourself, “Does this fit? Have I worn this in the last 12 months? Is it likely I will ever wear this again? Is this currently in style, and/or does it represent my style? If I was shopping right now, would I buy this?”
5. Once you decide to donate a garment, be sure to check the pockets and remove any personal items.
For more information, visit