February 22, 2026
Breaking News, Latest News, and Videos

Newsom Curfew Protest at Santa Monica Pier

Photo: Getty Images.

Around 80 people protest at Santa Monica Pier over the weekend

By Sam Catanzaro

Around 80 people gathered at Santa Monica Pier over the weekend protesting California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s new stay-at-home order that sets a 10 p.m. curfew.

On Saturday, around 80 people gathered near the Santa Monica Pier, according to SMPD Sgt. B. Cooper. The protest began at around 8 p.m. and lasted until a little before midnight.

Protestors moved around the pier and the downtown Santa Monica area, Cooper says.

According to the SMPD, police never declared an unlawful assembly and no arrests were made.

Newsom’s limited Stay at Home Order says non-essential work, movement and gatherings must stop between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. in counties in the purple tier, which includes Los Angeles County. The order took effect at 10 p.m. Saturday, November 21 and will remain in effect until 5 a.m. December 21.

Previous Article

Santa Monica Canine Officer Boris Retires: Santa Monica Beat – November, 30, 2020

Next Article

Help Those in Need in The Salvation Army Santa Monica’s Holiday Auction

You might be interested in …

The plane

Santa Monica Mirror’s 2015 Year-In-Review:

The Santa Monica Mirror takes a look back at each edition of 2015. Revisit some of the biggest stories that defined the city now and in the future. The team at The Mirror would like […]

AIDS Walk Founder Craig Miller (center) flashes victory sign as co-workers celebrate.

Nonprofit Ads Back on Santa Monica Buses:

It was celebrations all round for AIDS Walk Los Angeles and other nonprofits as Santa Monica City Council overturned last week a 2012 ban on Big Blue Bus (BBB) advertising that saw commercial organizations have sole access to such rights.