Many countries around the world are currently experiencing an opioid crisis. The United States and California, in particular, is one such country dealing with people suffering from opioid addiction.
Addiction can dominate your life, affecting your physical and mental health, your family, friendships, career, education, and other areas you may not have considered. If you suffer from drug addiction, you should look for drug rehabs near me.
Drug addiction is a disease that affects millions of people around the world. In 2020, a National Survey found that more than 22 million American adults suffer from drug addiction. In California, statistics show that the drug addiction rate is 5.2% of the total adult population.
It will be difficult to determine whether you have a drug addiction or not. Of course, using any harmful drug harms your mind, body, relationships, career, and other aspects of life. There are signs that you are addicted to drugs, and you should seek help immediately.
Signs of drug addiction include:
- Problems with physical health
- Bad appearance
- Behavior change
- Confidence in the drug
- Taking the drug daily or several times a day
- The need to increase the amount of the drug over time to get the same effect
- Using the drug for longer periods of time than intended
- Making sure that the medicine is available
- Spending money on medicine despite having no money for essentials
- Stealing, committing crimes, or doing other things to get money to buy drugs
- Involvement in risky behavior
- Inability to stop taking the drug
- The presence of withdrawal symptoms when trying to stop taking the drug
The opioid crisis in California
For the past several decades, doctors in Los Angeles, California have widely prescribed opioids to patients seeking pain relief. What started as a way to help patients has unfortunately turned into a pandemic in California and worldwide. Opioid addiction has become a serious problem when people inadvertently rely on painkillers.
According to research by California Health Care Foundation, more than 20% of people are prescribed opioids for pain relief. The CDC estimates that 30% of opioid-related overdose deaths in 2009 involved methadone prescriptions for pain.
After years of doctors prescribing opioids for pain relief, patients have become addicted to the drug. Some users who need stronger painkillers have turned to illegal street drugs like heroin when they can’t get prescription drugs. Besides managing pain, opioids provide a sense of euphoria. The positive effect of opioids can lead to their misuse.
Opioid medications are dangerous if taken in large amounts. At low doses, such painkillers may provide relief as directed by healthcare professionals. However, if you do not take it as intended, you are putting your health at risk.
Opioid treatment in California
Visiting a local community or moving to rehab near me, allows you to get away from triggers. It takes you out of the environment that may have led to or allowed your addiction to flourish.
In California, you will find a variety of drug or alcohol rehab centers near me. Each offers its own unique program and amenities.
Drug addiction treatment often depends on your level of addiction, so there can be many options for the programs:
- Medical detoxification
- Mental health programs
- Group and individual therapy
- Health and fitness classes
- Twelve Step Programs
- Nutrition and diet courses
- Individual planning
- Holistic rehabilitation
- Educational workshops
- Life planning after rehabilitation.
Treatment is carried out in a closed hospital and takes from 2 weeks. Patients are provided round-the-clock care and observation by doctors. In the course of the therapeutic course, manifestations of chemical dependence are eliminated, and measures are taken to prevent possible complications. Specialists also provide assistance to the patient’s close environment, and treat codependency.
After all the main courses of treatment, the patient remains under the supervision of the specialists for some time (about a year or as prescribed by the doctor). When prescribing drug-blocking drugs, the patient is monitored according to the doctor’s prescription.
Most rehabs in California provide comfortable conditions of stay in individual or VIP rooms with WIFI, security, and meals of your choice from the restaurant. Usually, they work under conditions of anonymity and confidentiality (a non-disclosure agreement is signed, documents are encrypted).
Features and principles of successful treatment
- Comprehensive diagnostics – examination of specialized specialists, laboratory tests, ultrasound, detection of accompanying pathologies.
- Detox program – cleansing the body of drug residues and toxic substances.
- Substitution therapy – eliminates withdrawal symptoms that occur after detoxification.
- Drug therapy is aimed at restoring the normal state and functioning of internal organs, improving mood, improving sleep quality. Patients are prescribed vitamin-mineral complexes, symptomatic and drugs that provide reliable protection of the brain, liver, and other vital organs.
- Drug blockade – the use of antagonists of opioid drugs. It contributes to the achievement of stable, sustainable remission and gives good results with long-term, regular use of opium and frequent interruptions. It is carried out exclusively at the request of the patient themselves.
- Psychotherapy – individual and collective classes aimed at overcoming psychological dependence, mastering relaxation methods, and forming healthy motivations.
- Psychological rehabilitation includes art, work, and Gestalt therapy classes according to the 12 steps program. Patients are provided with detailed individual consultations, follow-up and support after discharge.
The most effective treatment programs are selected individually, taking into account the results of diagnostics and other features. After the end of therapy, the patient is recommended to visit a specialist at least once every 2-3 months during the year in order to stabilize the condition and prevent relapse.