The New Year is here and after indulging in all the holiday temptations, it’s time to start shedding those pounds. The best way to do it? With a diet that includes key power foods and exercise.
To get motivated, the California Milk Processor Board (CMPB), the creator of “Got milk?” has teamed up with fitness blogger and expert Carmen Melgoza, a popular trainer and social media guru, to provide free online fitness and nutrition tips to help Californians meet their New Year’s health resolutions.
“It’s about lifestyle change that begins with the right foods and exercises,” said Melgoza, Founder of LatinoFitClub.com, an online publication and community focused on health and fitness. “Milk is a key part of my day! It helps me stay full longer when controlling my portion sizes and it gives me all the protein I need for a good workout.”
A recent study in the International Journal of Obesity showed that people who were dieting and consumed more dairy, like nonfat milk, lost more weight as compared to dieters who didn’t. Increased milk and dairy consumption in dieters also led to increased lean muscle, reduced body fat, and more inches lost around their waistline.
Along with incorporating milk as part of a healthy diet, Melgoza outlines five principles to live by for a healthy New Year:
1. Start small. Kick-off your day with a well-balanced breakfast. Skipping meals slows down your metabolism while a 15-minute workout three times a week can boost your results. Little steps; take the stairs at work or park your car further away at the mall.
2. Include…Not Exclude. The more variety you include on your plate, the more likely you are to get the vitamins and nutrients your body needs. Try incorporating more fruits, vegetables, low-fat milk and dairy products, lean proteins such as salmon and chicken breast and whole grains like brown rice in your meals as much as possible.
3. Break it up! Eat smaller portions three times a day and incorporate snacks to curb hunger. Add a glass of low or nonfat milk to keep you feeling full longer when cutting back on portion sizes.
4. Buddy up. Whether exercising or dieting, a support system will ensure you pass on the dessert and keep from canceling your exercise plans. Keep a journal and have your buddy check it.
5. Take your Gym outdoors. You can exercise anywhere, like the park. It’s an ideal place for a run, a bike ride or a brisk walk. For those who prefer exercising at home, try an online yoga class.