November 19 through January 6, only at the historic merry-go-round at the Santa Monica Pier.
By Staff Writer
For the first time in over a decade, the Santa Monica Pier is getting into the holiday spirit. Starting November 19th and running through January 6th, the historic Merry-Go-Round and Carousel Park will be dressed up and decked out for the first-ever Wonderland by the Water.
Wonderland by the Water is seven weeks of art, events and holiday magic at the Pier, including art installations, a food festival, craft/gift market, puppet shows, story time, photo ops and more. We’re working with some of LA’s best event producers to host an unforgettable experience for locals and tourists alike. Below is a quick overview, but of course we’re happy to send more info over!
- Seadragons Village Art Installation: Local artist, Myriad Slits, is creating a magical Seadragons Village art installation in the windows of the historic Merry-Go-Round. From outside the building, guests will be treated to whimsical scenes of sea creatures celebrating the holidays and from the inside, visitors will see giant “presents” decorated and wrapped for the holidays.
- November 19 – January 6
- Puppet Show with Bob Baker Marionette: The celebrated theater found a new home at the Pier. This iconic puppet show will feature classic songs of the season and Bob Baker favorites.
- November 29, December 6, 13 & 20
- 6:00 and 7:00 PM (two shows a night)
- Story Time and Mermaid Photos: The sea scenes come to life with Holiday Mermaids and King Triton. We’ll be offering photos and story time thanks to our friends at the Santa Monica Public Library and Dark Tide Productions.
- December 7, 14 & 21
- Photos: 3:00 – 7:00 PM; Story Time: 4:00 PM
- Smorgasburg LA Holiday Food Festival: Westside fans will get to taste the best of Smorgasburg LA on their own turf with favorites from DTLA, when more than 70 of the festivals most popular vendors take over the Pier.
- December 8
- 11:00 AM – 4:30 PM
- Shop Local with Unique LA: One of LA’s best independent design and immersive shopping experiences is heading to the Pier! Meet and shop directly from hundreds of hand-selected designers and artists. 2 Days, 300 Artisans, Thousands of Shoppers & Free Activities… it’s the best way to shop for all your holiday gifts.
- December 15 & 16
- 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Tickets are $15 at com
Santa Monica Pier Corporation’s Executive Director, Negin Singh, shares: “no matter where you come from, how old you are, or what religion you ascribe to, the holidays at their best are a time of togetherness, kindness, and magic. At the Pier, we see almost 30,000 people a day during the holiday season; if we can share even a little bit of that spirit with our guests, we are doing something right. We are so thrilled to have curated the best of LA artists and event producers to bring this season to life.”
Artist Myriad Slits added, “The Pier is a vibrant and rich atmosphere, and an artist’s dream inspiration. I am so excited about playing with the brilliant colors, textures and materials that exist underwater to create a tableau that the eyes will want to devour. We’re using iridescent shells and pearls, bright colors and an array of festive materials to make Seadragon’s Village at Wonderland by the Water an incredible feast for the eyes.”
Presented by the Santa Monica Pier, Wonderland by the Water is free and open to the public and suitable for all ages. Special thanks to sponsors Lyft, One West Bank, Uniqlo, Santa Monica Hotels, and Pacific Park for helping to bring the program to life.
Wonderland by the Water
7 weeks of art, events and holiday magic at the Santa Monica Pier
November 19 – January 6
Santa Monica Pier
200 Santa Monica Pier
Santa Monica, CA 90401
About the Santa Monica Pier Corporation
The Santa Monica Pier Corporation (SMPC) is a non-profit, public benefit corporation dedicated to preserving and enhancing the Santa Monica Pier experience for all visitors. santamonicapier.org
About Myriad Slits
Myriad Slits makes art in all forms: performance, photography, painting, installations. She is the creator of “Morton Salt Children’s Religious Revival”, an annual performance art retreat that’s going into its 12th year. Her art has been featured in Heart of Art gallery, Leimin Space, Neutra Museum, Los Angeles City Brewery and Galeria Obscura. You can find her performing with her band, ModPods, all throughout Los Angeles or teaching art to children ages 4 to 8-years-old.