The holiday season is full of activities, get-togethers and wonderful food that can pack on the pounds. When it’s your turn to entertain, set out a delectable spread of appetizers that are lower in fat. These ideas are so tasty your guests may never know what’s missing.
Salsa: Red, green, adobo, mango, hot, mild, fruity – there are so many possibilities! Serve with baked corn chips and veggie sticks. Try a fruit salsa with cinnamon tortilla chips, too.
Shrimp: Try some zesty chipotle spiced or citrus marinated shrimp to give guests a mouthful of wow.
Divine Dips: Black bean dip, low fat spinach dip, hummus – there are plenty of flavorful low fat dips to be found. Make your own or buy some of the many flavored varieties in stores. Serve with pita chips and veggies.
Lower Fat Holiday Appetizers: Cocktail links such as Hillshire Farm Lit’l Smokies have been party favorites for years. Now there’s a new version to serve – Turkey Lit’l Smokies, which have two-thirds less fat than regular Lit’l Smokies. They can be prepared just about any way you like them:
* Wrapped in crescent rolls or corn bread.
* Dipped in barbeque sauce, honey mustard, reduced fat cheese sauce
* Simmered in a crockpot with chili sauce
* Skewered with your favorite veggies or fruit
For more ideas for holiday merry making, visit www.gomeat.com.
Fancy Pigs in a Blanket
Makes 24 servings
1 package Hillshire Farm Turkey Lit’l Smokies Cocktail Links
3 tablespoons cranberry sauce
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 8-ounce can refrigerated reduced fat crescent dinner rolls
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
2. Separate crescent rolls and spread lightly with Dijon mustard and cranberry sauce.
3. Cut each crescent roll into thirds lengthwise.
4. Place 1 link on short side of each triangle and, starting at the short side, roll it up.
5. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
6. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.