On Friday, April 8, at 6:50 p.m., officers went to Carl’s Jr. located on the 2700 block of Santa Monica Boulevard. Officers were not at the fast food outlet to dine, but in response to a report of an assault.
Upon arrival the officers spoke with the victim, who said she had been working behind the counter when the suspect entered the restaurant. She said that this man had been yelling incoherently and flailing his arms around his head. The victim had then asked the man to kindly leave the restaurant. The man had responded to this request by reaching over the counter, and slapping the victim in the face with his open hand.
This man had then proceeded to sit down at a table in the restaurant.
After hearing this narration, the officers walked over to the man, and as they did so he picked up a metal napkin holder and raised his arm with the clear intention of thrusting this utensil through the air in the fashion of a missile towards the officers. The officers, however, were quick on their feet, and before the metal napkin holder was launched they stayed his hand, and placed him under arrest. This 55-year-old homeless man was charged with assault and battery, and obstruction of justice. His bail was set at $20,000.
Editor’s Note: These reports are part of a regular police coverage series entitled “Alert Police Blotter” (APB), which injects some minor editorial into certain police activities in Santa Monica. Not all of the Mirror’s coverage of incidents involving police are portrayed in this manner. More serious crimes and police-related activities are regularly reported without editorial in the pages the Santa Monica Mirror and its website, smmirror.com.