July 3, 2022 Breaking News, Latest News, and Videos

Retief Goosen Leads Northern Trust Open Entering Final Round:

South African Retief Goosen holds a two-shot lead over Canadian Graham DeLaet entering today’s final round of the $6.7 million Northern Trust Open at The Riviera County Club.

The 46-year-old Goosen began Saturday’s third round with a one-shot lead over DeLaet and two other golfers, then shot a two-under-par 69 as he continued pursuing his first victory on the PGA Tour since the 2009 Valspar Championship.

The tournament may not have a winner today as there is a 40 percent chance of rain in the morning, increasing to a 60 percent chance in the afternoon, according to the National Weather Service, putting completion of the final round before darkness at risk.

Because of the weather, “the course will play different than it played the last three days,” Goosen said.

“Strategy will pretty much stay the same, pending conditions,” Goosen said. “I’ll just stick to my game plan, try and hit fairways, try and hit greens and make pars. If you get a birdie, it’s a bonus.”

Sang-Moon Bae of South Korea, rookie Carlos Ortiz of Mexico and Sergio Garcia of Spain are tied for third, three shots behind Goosen at five-under-par for the tournament.

The leader through three rounds last won the Northern Trust Open in 2011. Through 13 PGA Tour tournaments this season, five players leading through three rounds have gone on to win. The winner will receive $1.206 million.

Goosen birdied the first, sixth and eighth holes Saturday, increasing his lead to three shots. He began a stretch of four bogeys in six holes on the 10th. He had a birdie on the 11th, but bogies on 12, 13th and 15th holes.

Goosen had back-to-back birdies on the 16th and 17th holes and completed his round by tapping in a five-inch putt for a par on the 18th hole.

Goosen said he was “very happy” with his round.

“The front nine was really putting, a lot of good recovery putts I made,” said Goosen, who is at eight-under-par.

“The back nine it caught up with me a little bit. I didn’t hit the ball that great, especially my driver, and hit myself in a few bad places, but I still made some good putts.”

This is the eighth time Goosen has played in the Northern Trust Open. His best finish was a tie for 12th in 2011.

“I’ve never done too great here,” Goosen said.

DeLaet shot a one-under-par 70. He eagled the first hole, birdied the sixth and had back-to-back bogeys on the seventh and eighth, finishing the front nine at one-under-par.

DeLaet played par golf over the back nine with birdies on the 11th and 16th holes and bogeys on the 12th and 14th.

“I’m happy shooting under par,” said the 34-year-old DeLaet, who is seeking his first victory on the PGA Tour. He finished second in The Barclays in 2013 and the Farmers Insurance Open and Waste Management Phoenix Open last year.

“It’s a tough golf course. It’s just so demanding and tests your patience.”

Bae shot a five-under-par 66, tying for the day’s low round with Morgan Hoffman. Bae had the day’s lone bogey-free round and second of the tournament. Brendon Todd had a bogey-free two-under-par 69 in Thursday’s first round.

in Sports
Related Posts

Super Bowl Pre-Game Show to Be Broadcast From Santa Monica Pier

February 10, 2022

February 10, 2022

The Santa Monica Pier will be the location for the Super Bowl Pre-Game show broadcast. Learn more in this video...

Santa Monica Youth Basketball Staying and Playing Strong

October 13, 2021

October 13, 2021

By Dr. Paul Drew Hello everyone, I’m Dr. Paul Drew.  It’s been a long time since I’ve been able to...

Local Hoopers Rejoice As Venice Basketball League Returns

September 6, 2021

September 6, 2021

The Venice Basketball League is officially back on the courts after nearly 2 years of closure. Nick Ansom joins us...

Westside Olympic Swimmer Shares Her Journey To The Games

August 31, 2021

August 31, 2021

Two time Olympian, Westside Local, and Medical Student Andi Murez has returned from the Tokyo games, hear about her journey...

Local Little League All-Star Team Wins More Than Just Championships

August 10, 2021

August 10, 2021

The Venice Baseball Academy’s little league team, the Tide, recently won the SoCal State Championships but it’s more than winning...

Crossroads Wins CIF and State Regionals

June 15, 2021

June 15, 2021

The Crossroads Varsity Boys Soccer Team had a stellar championship season starting with a true underdog story with CIF Division 6 Playoff...

Samohi Vikings Frosh-Soph Defeat Culver City Centaurs in Final Seconds

April 20, 2021

April 20, 2021

2020 was a tough year for Santa Monica High School football as Covid-19 restrictions forced all high school sports to...

Pali Riptide Baseball Club Tryouts

January 7, 2021

January 7, 2021

January 9th and 10th at Pali Rec Center The Pali Riptide Baseball Club is preparing for a spring season and...

Grand Jury Indicts Former Angel Employee in Tyler Skaggs’ Fatal Overdose

October 19, 2020

October 19, 2020

Fort Wayne grand jury indicts Eric Prescott Kay on drug distribution and drug conspiracy charges By Sam Catanzaro A federal...

Column: How to Play it Safe to Prevent Deadly Heat Exhaustion

August 24, 2020

August 24, 2020

By Shawn McCann  As the Southland region broils in a summer heatwave, the coronavirus pandemic has created additional concern for...

Former Angels Employee Charged in Tyler Skagg’s Fatal Fentanyl Overdose

August 7, 2020

August 7, 2020

Former Angels Communications Director Eric Prescott Kay faces up to 20 years in prison By Sam Catanzaro An ex-employee of...

LA Marathon to Exclude Santa Monica

July 24, 2020

July 24, 2020

Race organizers, citing “bigger footprint at the finish line”, choose Century City end point By Sam Catanzaro Santa Monica has...

High School Sports Pushed Back Until Winter

July 21, 2020

July 21, 2020

All California high school sports will not begin until mid-December By Sam Catanzaro High school sports in Santa Monica and...

Video: Venice Skatepark Taken Back by Skaters

May 28, 2020

May 28, 2020

Defying officials, Venice Skate Park skaters recently took matters into their own hands after the City of Los Angeles filled...

Video: Westside MLB Brothers Give Back

May 18, 2020

May 18, 2020

Two Westside brothers, both professional baseball players, are giving back to local first responders COVID-19 pandemic. Learn more in this...