When it comes time to consider colleges in California, there will be many options. The leading colleges in California offer many opportunities where students can study liberal arts at Scripps College, psychology at Claremont McKenna College, science at Harvey Mudd, English at University Stanford, and much more. With great options for financial aid, it is possible to have a super learning experience at the best institutions in the state. Here, we take a look at some of the leading choices that provide enrolling students with a plethora of classes, amazing assistance options, and an opportunity to earn a degree from a trusted and respected California institute.
The best college in California is not always the most expensive. There are amazing universities that provide degree options at affordable costs. Whether you are looking to learn about arts, management, computer science, or any other field, there are options. Here are some of the leading colleges that have affordable tuition, allowing those not eligible for financial aid to enroll and get a great experience without breaking the bank. These all offer various courses that will meet the needs of anyone seeking a degree.
- California State University – Los Angeles – Founded in 1947, this California college offers 129 bachelor, 112 masters, and 4 graduate doctoral degrees. In-state students pay just $6400 per semester while out-of-state costs will be $16,400.
- University of California – Riverside – This 4-year university offers many degrees and annual tuition is $13,000. Popular majors include psychology, business, mathematics, engineering, and biology.
- Sandford – As one of the best schools in the US, the average tuition is $16,542 and over 60% of enrolled students receive some form of assistance.
- Pomona College – Established by the Association of Congregational Churches in Southern California, Pomona offers average tuition of $15,840 using financial assistance and enrolls around 1700 students every year and has a low acceptance rate. 48 degree options are supported.
Top Colleges for Writers
Attending college to pursue a writing degree is something that is of interest to many. There are a number of options when choosing a university in California. These types of courses are a popular option, allowing one to obtain a degree to pursue a career as a journalist, novelist, reporter, along with a number of other jobs. Get started on an undergraduate degree at these colleges with great writing programs, many of which attract international enrollees. Whether you are a creative writer or looking to earn a degree in literature, these are some great options.
- Pepperdine University – This select California university offers a BA for creative writers. The program is designed to prepare those seeking a career as a professional writer.
- Pitzer College – Work towards a degree in English and World Literature at this respected institute. Pitzer offers majors and minors in these fields.
- Chapman University – A BFA from Chapman can pave the road for a career as a writer. There are various degree options.
- Foothill College – Located in Los Altos Hills, this university is a great choice for creative writers.
The majority of colleges in California will have some type of option for writers pursuing a career. Even if you do not major in English, these classes can provide great benefits and can help anyone become a better writer, which in turn can improve academic standings. Develop research skills, enhance your vocabulary, and learn about literature that has shaped the way we write today.
As you take steps to plan your life and career goals, there are many opportunities to attend school and take classes in your preferred field. Even if you do not wish to spend a lot of time obtaining a degree, some certificate classes are available at leading California colleges. If you are looking for small group classes or large lectures on campus, these private and public institutions all offer a great experience for any student.
About the Author
Bertha Graham is a respected blogger with years of experience in education and holds an MA. With publications in many journals, Bertha is also one of our experts that works at papersowl.com and she is always working with students to provide information on educational options in California. Her experience in the field has helped thousands of students in CA, from San Diego to Los Angeles.