August 31, 2025 Breaking News, Latest News, and Videos

District Attorney Declines to File Charges in Santa Monica Fatal Stabbing

District Attorney’s Office declines to file charges against individual connected to recent stabbing 

By Sam Catanzaro

Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón’s office has opted to not file charges against an individual who stabbed a man to death in Santa Monica this week. 

According to the Santa Monica Police Department, on June 21 around 7:30 p.m., officers were dispatched to the area of Third Street and Broadway to investigate a report of a shot fired. When officers arrived on scene, they located a male with a stab wound to the neck. Officers immediately began rendering medical aid before Santa Monica Fire Department personnel arrived on scene and transported the victim to a local hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.

Officers learned an altercation between the victim and a male and female began near the Santa Monica Pier and ended up in the 300 block of Broadway where the victim was stabbed, according to SMPD Lieutenant Rudy Flores.

“Witnesses who were with the victim provided a description of both subjects along with their last known direction of travel. At one point during this altercation, a shot was fired and a spent .45 cal casing was located. However, it is unclear who fired that round,” Flores said.

SMPD officers soon after established a perimeter and stopped two suspects–identified by witnesses–in the area of 6th Street and Santa Monica Boulevard. According to Flores, they were taken into custody without incident.

Sean Alexander Graves, a 28-year-old male from Long beach was booked for murder. The female with Graves was interviewed then released, according to police.

On June 23 detectives from the SMPD Criminal Investigation Division presented the homicide case involving graves to the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office. According to the SMPD, the District Attorney’s Office declined to file charges against Graves “at this particular time” and he has since been released from custody. 

“From when the incident occurred until the case was presented to the District Attorney’s Office, detectives reviewed numerous pieces of evidence including witness statements, evidence found at the crime scene, and video footage. Detectives determined that the individuals associated with the decedent were in possession of a handgun as they followed Graves and his female companion, and at some point, discharged that weapo,” Flores said in a statement. “Based on this information, the District Attorney’s Office believed that Graves may have acted in self-defense.” 

According to Flores, the incident remains under investigation.  

in Crime, News
<>Related Posts

SMMUSD Board of Education Changes Start Time for September 4 Meeting

August 30, 2025

August 30, 2025

Residents Can Tune In via Livestream or Make Public Comments Remotely The Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District announced a revised...

Pacific Park Ferris Wheel to Glow with 90-Foot American Flag for Labor Day

August 30, 2025

August 30, 2025

The tribute will feature the Ferris wheel’s 174,000 LED lights in a custom computer-generated show of red, white, and blue...

State Launches Task Force to Tackle Homeless Encampments

August 30, 2025

August 30, 2025

The task force, comprising multiple state agencies, will target encampments along state rights-of-way in California’s 10 largest cities Gov. Gavin...

Santa Monica Flea-Borne Typhus Cluster Under Investigation as L.A. Cases Rise

August 29, 2025

August 29, 2025

County Confirms 106 Cases So Far in 2025 After a Record 187 Last Year Health officials are warning Los Angeles...

CHP Launches Annual Statewide Labor Day Crackdown on Impaired Driving

August 29, 2025

August 29, 2025

All Available Officers Will Patrol California Roads August 29–September 1 The California Highway Patrol will deploy every available officer this...

Santa Monica Historic District Tour Showcases Early 20th Century Bungalows

August 29, 2025

August 29, 2025

The Third Street Walk, led by Conservancy board president Mario Fonda-Bonardi, will highlight the architectural and historical significance of the...

Newsom Signs Order to Protect Clean Energy Projects Amid Federal Rollbacks

August 29, 2025

August 29, 2025

The order aims to secure federal tax credits for clean energy projects before they expire due to HR 1, dubbed...

Muscle Beach Championship Returns to Venice on Labor Day

August 29, 2025

August 29, 2025

The event will feature competitions across categories including bodybuilding, bikini, men’s physique, classic physique, angel bikini, and couples The iconic...

Film Review: Relay

August 28, 2025

August 28, 2025

FILM REVIEWRELAYRated R112 MinutesReleased August 22nd This movie plays like a chess game, mentally and physically – on foot and...

Santa Monica’s E-Bike Voucher Program Marks One-Year Milestone

August 28, 2025

August 28, 2025

A city blog post highlighted personal impacts, with one family avoiding a second car purchase for a commute to Burbank,...

Westside Classics Car Show Set to Roll into Venice Beach

August 28, 2025

August 28, 2025

The show will feature a curated lineup of vintage sedans, low-slung cruisers, and unique custom builds The Westside Classics Car...

Westside Chefs Shine at the Manhattan Beach Food & Wine Festival in September

August 28, 2025

August 28, 2025

South Bay’s Culinary Festival Returns With Two Nights of Food, Wine, and Music Santa Monica, Westchester, Los Angeles, and West...

(Video) Public Transit Returns to Pacific Palisades

August 27, 2025

August 27, 2025

The Return is Part of a Broader Summer Overhaul, Aiming to Boost Connectivity Across the Westside Public Transit Returns to...

Raising Cane’s Plans New Location on 3rd Street Promenade

August 27, 2025

August 27, 2025

The move marks the chain’s latest expansion in California Louisiana-based fast-food chain Raising Cane’s confirmed to the Santa Monica Mirror...