Full Name: Ted Winterer
Endorsements: Santa Monicans For Renters’ Rights; Los Angeles League of Conservation Voters; Santa Monica Coalition for a Livable City; State Assembly member Julia Brownley; Councilmember Kevin McKeown
Current office/profession: Planning Commissioner/Writer
Previous Experience: Recreation and Parks Commissioner; President, Ocean Park Association; Steering Committee of Community for Excellence in Public School (CEPS); Measure A Campaign Steering Committee; City Manager’s Workforce Housing Committee
Education: Dartmouth College, B.A.
Date/place of birth: 3/9/57; Brooklyn, NY
Biography:I was born and raised in New York City, attended college in New Hampshire and spent a year teaching skiing in Jackson Hole. I then returned to New York and worked for various entertainment companies.
I moved from New York City to Los Angeles in 1990 to pursue my career in the movie business and settled in Santa Monica in 1992. I’ve never looked back, although sometimes I miss riding the A train to Yankee Stadium. I met my wife here and our children were born here and attend the local schools. We are deeply rooted in our community and are delighted to call Santa Monica home.
Spouse/Children: Beck; Eleanor (9); Steele (4)
Neighborhood of Residence: Ocean Park
Community Activities: Organizer, Main Street 4th of July Parade; AYSO Coach and Referee; Santa Monica Chamber of Commerce
Candidate Statement: I will be the voice of residents and locally owned small businesses. My goals when elected are:
• Keep Santa Monicans in their homes, preserve diversity through rent control, tenant protections, neighborhood conservation policies and new housing for all incomes.
• Protect neighborhoods from too much traffic-generating commercial development.
• Maintain the scale and character of our city: new development should be appropriately sized, sustainable and provide substantial public benefits.
• Assure the continued excellence of our public schools.
• Add new parks, recreational facilities and bike paths to our built-out town.
• Solve traffic and parking woes: use better city planning to avoid these problems before they occur. • Improve the health of our environment for our children.
• Back proven programs to reduce homelessness.
• Support our first class police and fire departments.
• Make our government more responsive and responsible.
• I have served our community as:
• Planning Commissioner; former Recreation and Parks Commissioner
• President of the Ocean Park Association
• Steering committees of Community for Excellent Public Schools (CEPS) and the Campaign to Protect Quality Public Schools
• Organizer of 4th of July Parade
I ask for your vote.