Virtually every music program at Santa Monica College – from opera to jazz to percussion – will display its talents in a rich variety of concerts in December, and some have a holiday theme.
All of the concerts except the SMC Musical Theatre Workshop will be held at The Broad Stage or Edye Second Space at the Santa Monica College Performing Arts Center, located on Santa Monica Boulevard at 11th Street.
The lineup is:
• Sunday, Dec. 4 at 4 p.m.: SMC Wind Ensemble, under the baton of Kevin McKeown. Rejoicing with music of the season, the concert will feature a special guest conductor – the winner of the second annual essay contest at John Adams Middle School – leading the ensemble in a festive performance of Leroy Anderson’s “Sleigh Ride.” The Broad Stage. (Tickets are $11)
• Tuesday, Dec. 6 at 11:15 a.m.: Piano Ensemble Recital, under the direction of Dr. Yulia Krasny. The recital features four-hand piano and piano duo repertoire performed by advanced SMC students. The Edye Second Space. (Free. Complimentary tickets are available in the SMC Music Office, Room 211 in the Performing Arts Center)
• Thursday, Dec. 8 at 11:15 a.m.: SMC Percussion Ensemble, under the baton of Matthew Altmire. The Edye Second Space. (Free. Complimentary tickets are available in the SMC Music Office, Room 211 in the Performing Arts Center)
• Friday, Dec. 9 at 7:30 p.m.: SMC Jazz Vocal Ensemble, under the direction of Cindy Bourquin. The award-winning ensemble – backed by Los Angeles-area jazz musicians – blends its voices in a program specifically arranged for four-part harmony. The Broad Stage. (Tickets are $11)
• Saturday, Dec. 10 at 7:30 p.m.: SMC Opera Theatre Highlights. Under the direction of Gail Gordon, the singers will perform arias and ensembles from the Baroque and Bel Canto. The Broad Stage. (Tickets are $10)
• Sunday, Dec. 11 at 4 p.m.: SMC Jazz Band, under the baton of Keith Fiddmont. The concert features arrangements from master musicians as well as contemporary works from aspiring composers and arrangers. The Broad Stage. (Tickets are $11)
• Wednesday, Dec. 14 at 7:30 p.m.: SMC Concert Chorale, under the baton of Jeffe Huls. The program includes Mozart’s “Vesperae solennes de confessore, K. 339,” and the colorful “Gloria” of contemporary English composer John Rutter. The Broad Stage. (Tickets are $11)
• Friday-Sunday, Dec. 16-18 (at 8 p.m. Friday, 2 & 8 p.m. Saturday, and 2 p.m. Sunday): SMC Musical Theatre Workshop, under the direction of Terrin Adair-Lynch and Gary Gray. Students present a program of solos, duets and ensemble selections. Theatre Arts Studio Stage, Main SMC Campus, 1900 Pico Blvd. (Tickets are $11)
Advance tickets for concerts with an admission charge may be purchased online at www.smc.edu/eventsinfo or by calling (310) 434-3005.