February 29, 2024 Breaking News, Latest News, and Videos

Light Rain Falls Sporadically, More Showers Expected:

Light rain fell sporadically in the Southland this morning and more showers were expected on what will be a warm, somewhat muggy day, and National Weather Service forecasters warned there’s a slight chance of thunderstorms.

The NWS set the chance of measurable precipitation at 30 percent in some Los Angeles County communities but 40 percent in others. replica watches As of Monday, the chance of precipitation in Orange County was 20 percent but was increased to 40 percent this morning.

While the forecast weather event was expected to have mostly minor impact, forecasters warned that the rain could produce slippery roads, ponding in places, and minor mud and debris flows over foothill slopes previously denuded by wildfires.

They said a low-pressure system that has been developing over the eastern Pacific will approach the region today, drawing moisture from the remnants of Tropical Depression Blanca, which began as a hurricane of moderate strength, then turned into a tropical storm.

“As moisture from … Blanca streams into the area, the threat of showers will increase across the area during the day on Tuesday, with the shower threat peaking in the afternoon,” an NWS statement said.

“In addition, there is the possibility of thunderstorms as atmospheric instability increases.”

“Any thunderstorms that develop will be capable of producing heavy rain, gusty winds and dangerous cloud-to-ground lightning,” it warned. “Minor street flooding will also be possible with any heavy rain.”

Most areas are expected to receive between a tenth and a half-inch of rain though higher volumes will accompany any thunderstorm, according to the NWS, which said the threat of precipitation will end tonight. No snowfall is expected.

Today’s temperature highs will be in the 70s, 80s and 90s — high enough to create some discomfort amid all the humidity, but generally a few degrees lower than Monday.

in News
Related Posts

Leap Day Brings Once-in-Four-Year Deals at Popular Restaurants All Day Long

February 28, 2024

February 28, 2024

Krispy Kreme, Dunkin’, and More Roll Out Special Offers to Mark the Occasion Leap Day, that rare additional day occurring...

Sweet Lady Jane’s Social Media Tease Continues As Locations Sport Hiring Notices

February 28, 2024

February 28, 2024

Mysterious Posts Leave Fans Eager for the Return, But Questions Linger By Dolores Quintana After resurfacing on social media, the...

Upcoming Ice Cream Shop on Montana Ave. Will Serve Multitude of Vegan Flavors

February 28, 2024

February 28, 2024

The Company Has Come a Long Way Since Its Humble Beginnings as a New York City Food Truck By Zach...

(Video) Pro-Palestine Protest at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel

February 28, 2024

February 28, 2024

Protesters were there to protest the arrival of U.S. Representative Nancy Pelosi Counter-protesters drove by in a car. @smmirrornews Pro-Palestine...

(Video) Restaurants Replace Glass Front Doors After Late Night Robbery Spree in Del Ray

February 28, 2024

February 28, 2024

Seven restaurants and small businesses in Del Rey and Venice, including Nick the Greek and Dudley Market, were robbed. Council...

SMMUSD Appoints New Asst. Superintendent of Education Services

February 27, 2024

February 27, 2024

Dr. Williamson Will Assume Her Role on March 8, Bringing 17 Years of Education Experience In a special board meeting...

Hollywood Royalty to Shine at 96th Oscars: First Wave of Star-Studded Presenter Lineup Unveiled

February 27, 2024

February 27, 2024

Incredible Lineup of Actors and Previous Oscar Winners Announced Executive producer and showrunner Raj Kapoor, along with executive producers Molly...

Vote Smart, Vote Early: Streamlining Your 2024 Presidential Primary Experience in L.A. County

February 27, 2024

February 27, 2024

Skip the Lines and Save Time – Your Guide to Early Voting Options  In preparation for the upcoming 2024 Presidential...

Iconic Venice Beach Sculpture and Landmark to be Removed, Returned to Artist’s Property

February 27, 2024

February 27, 2024

Since the Money, Effort or Desire to Purchase the Piece Appears to Not Be There, the Artist Wants It Back...

(Video) Heartfelt candlelight vigils in Westchester and West Hollywood for Nex Benedict

February 27, 2024

February 27, 2024

The non-binary 16 year old student with Choctaw ancestry died in Owasso, Oklahoma after being beaten by three older high...

Sweet Lady Jane Sparks Hope of Return – Popular Bakery Hints at Reopening Across LA

February 27, 2024

February 27, 2024

After Abrupt Closures, Beloved Bakery Hints at a Comeback, Leaving Fans Intrigued  Sweet Lady Jane, a Los Angeles cake bakery...

Waymo’s LA Expansion Hits Roadblock: CPUC Temporarily Halts Self-Driving Company’s Plans

February 26, 2024

February 26, 2024

California Public Utilities Commission suspends Waymo’s service expansion for 120 days. California’s Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) has put a temporary...

Real Estate Giant Funds LAPD Union Fund to Sway L.A. City Council Election in March

February 26, 2024

February 26, 2024

Santa Monica Company Responsible for LA’s Largest Mass Eviction Gives $400,000 Santa Monica-based Real estate investment trust company Douglas Emmett...

Santa Monica College Unveils 2024 Spring Jazz Series Lineup

February 26, 2024

February 26, 2024

Tickets for each concert are priced at $10 and can be purchased in advance The Santa Monica College Music Department...

Downtown Wellness Center Bridges Gap Between Psychedelics and Meditation

February 26, 2024

February 26, 2024

The Center Has Partnered With Local Agencies and Gave Free Sessions to Around 500 Veterans in Two Years By Zach...