TypOwriter Artist, Louise Marler will host a “F451” Type-In, Art Exhibit and Silent Auction in celebration of Ray Bradbury’s literary masterpiece, Saturday, June 25 in Venice, as the final event of The Big Read Los Angeles.
Author Ray Bradbury’s science fiction masterpiece “Fahrenheit 451” will be celebrated by Contemporary pop artist and event host LA Marler at Beyond Baroque Literary Art Center.
The free event will include a Type-In from 1 p.m. – 4 p.m., along with a group exhibit of visual artists saluting literary arts, including Louise Marler’s Ray Bradbury and other TypOwriter and camERA Art with a silent auction all day, concluding at 9 p.m.
A convergence of readers and writers, and typewriter enthusiasts are expected to participate in the event.
Academy Award Winner Tom Hanks has donated a typewriter to the exhibit that will be displayed with an autographed note on “Lucky Guy” Daily News note pad that says: “The reporter inside all of us needs a typewriter to get the job done, the story written, the truth to get told. So, here you are. Use this. It is a machine, so must be kept loose with use. It’s ready for action! Throw deep, Tom Hanks”
LA Marler’s Ray Bradbury TypOwriter mixed media art will also be on display. It features Bradbury’s 1947 Royal KMM typewriter in a blaze surrounded by burnt text inspired by “Fahrenheit 451.”
“The TypOwriter art evokes a passionate writer and machine, manifesting a universal story in record time,” organizers said.
Marler’s mixed media artwork, as well as the limited-edition prints will be offered for sale. A portion of the sales of LA Marler’s Ray Bradbury limited edition prints will benefit the Jim Murray Memorial Foundation in support of journalism scholarships.
The day includes:
• BYOT (Bring Your Own Typewriter) to show and tell your typewriter story
• Erica Di Bona, Author “Art of Thank You” blog, will demonstrate her powerful practice of typing “Thank You Letters”
• Dennis Etchison will talk about how studying Ray Bradbury’s work influenced his writing
• Mike Sonksen (Mike the Poet) will tell his story of Ray Bradbury’s local roots and lasting impact
• Melrose Poetry Bureau will present pieces of Ad Lit Lab, including improv and poetry
• LAFD Station #63 will be there as the good guys in reality, and Fire Engine Photo ops
• Send-Off Celebration of Louise Marler typewriter donation and story to National Museum of American History
• Mike Kelley Gallery Art exhibit with a literary theme and visual artists, including: Shepard Fairey, Robbie Conal, Scotto Mycklebust, LA Marler (Louise Marler), Sandy Bliefer and Kim Abeles, and Mexican Cultural Institute students’ artwork inspired by reading the book
• Literary fans will also see a display of classic typewriters, and be able to use some of them as part of this Type-In
• Silent Auction and Raffle
• Taste bud burning, other food and beverages
• Typewriter service and sales and supplies
Event sponsors in include Tom Hanks, The Soboroff Typewriter Collection, Vin Di Bona Productions, Los Angeles Cultural Affairs Department, Union Bank, Amoeba Music, Angel City Beer, Beyond BaroqueThe Big Read LA, Los Angeles Cultural Affairs Dept.
The event will benefit Beyond Baroque which is located at 681 Venice Blvd, Venice, CA 90291. For more information go to: typowriterart.com
The Big Read is a program of the National Endowment for the Arts in partnership with Arts Midwest, head to: NEABigRead.org for more. It is a nationwide initiative designed to restore reading as central in American culture. It brings together partners across the country to encourage reading for literacy, pleasure and education.