August 31, 2025 Breaking News, Latest News, and Videos

Weller Convicted on 10 Felony Counts:

The jury returned Friday morning, October 20, and convicted George Russell Weller, 89, on 10 felony counts of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence in the criminal trial arising out of the July 2003 Santa Monica Farmers’ Market tragedy in which 10 persons were killed and over 60 injured.

Jurors were dismissed after deliberating since Friday, October 6, in the downtown Los Angeles courtroom of Judge Michael Johnson.  The jury announced that it had reached a verdict about 10:30 Friday morning, and the verdict was read at 11:10 a.m.  Weller was not present.

Los Angeles District Attorney Steve Cooley said: “We are pleased the jury returned a guilty verdict on all counts as charged against Mr. Weller.  We have always believed the difficult issues raised by this case needed to be aired in public and decided by a jury.  This helps conclude a case that involved incredible human devastation and mayhem.  We acknowledge the judge’s responsibility to make the difficult sentencing decision.”

The jury apparently rejected Weller’s contention that “pedal error” – confusion between the accelerator and the brake pedals – caused the accident so as to obviate criminal consequences. 

The parties will return to Judge Johnson’s courtroom on October 27 for a hearing to set a date for sentencing.  Weller could be sentenced to as much as 18 years in prison.  The District Attorney’s Office has said it will make no recommendations on sentencing.

The Los Angeles Times reported that Weller’s lawyer said that he will appeal.  Although no specific grounds for an appeal were stated by the newspaper, it did quote Mark Overland, Weller’s attorney, as saying that the prosecution played up the tragic and blooding aspects of the case, and, “It’s very emotional and it’s difficult for jurors to put those questions out of their minds.”

Weller remains a defendant in multiple civil damage actions arising out of the tragedy, in which claims have been asserted against not only him, but also the City of Santa Monica, the downtown business Bayside District Corporation and others.  Those cases are now set to go to trial in January 2007, although some claims against the City have been dismissed in pretrial proceedings. 

Asked to comment on the criminal verdict against Weller, Joyce Mendlin, lawyer for two of those injured at the Farmers’ Market, said, “That something like this might happen was foreseeable, and the City of Santa Monica and Bayside District and others failed to take reasonable precautions to protect the people whom the City and Bayside encouraged to attend and shop at the Farmers’ Market – particularly when the market is held on a busy public street.”

in News
<>Related Posts

SMMUSD Board of Education Changes Start Time for September 4 Meeting

August 30, 2025

August 30, 2025

Residents Can Tune In via Livestream or Make Public Comments Remotely The Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District announced a revised...

Pacific Park Ferris Wheel to Glow with 90-Foot American Flag for Labor Day

August 30, 2025

August 30, 2025

The tribute will feature the Ferris wheel’s 174,000 LED lights in a custom computer-generated show of red, white, and blue...

State Launches Task Force to Tackle Homeless Encampments

August 30, 2025

August 30, 2025

The task force, comprising multiple state agencies, will target encampments along state rights-of-way in California’s 10 largest cities Gov. Gavin...

Santa Monica Flea-Borne Typhus Cluster Under Investigation as L.A. Cases Rise

August 29, 2025

August 29, 2025

County Confirms 106 Cases So Far in 2025 After a Record 187 Last Year Health officials are warning Los Angeles...

CHP Launches Annual Statewide Labor Day Crackdown on Impaired Driving

August 29, 2025

August 29, 2025

All Available Officers Will Patrol California Roads August 29–September 1 The California Highway Patrol will deploy every available officer this...

Santa Monica Historic District Tour Showcases Early 20th Century Bungalows

August 29, 2025

August 29, 2025

The Third Street Walk, led by Conservancy board president Mario Fonda-Bonardi, will highlight the architectural and historical significance of the...

Newsom Signs Order to Protect Clean Energy Projects Amid Federal Rollbacks

August 29, 2025

August 29, 2025

The order aims to secure federal tax credits for clean energy projects before they expire due to HR 1, dubbed...

Muscle Beach Championship Returns to Venice on Labor Day

August 29, 2025

August 29, 2025

The event will feature competitions across categories including bodybuilding, bikini, men’s physique, classic physique, angel bikini, and couples The iconic...

Film Review: Relay

August 28, 2025

August 28, 2025

FILM REVIEWRELAYRated R112 MinutesReleased August 22nd This movie plays like a chess game, mentally and physically – on foot and...

Santa Monica’s E-Bike Voucher Program Marks One-Year Milestone

August 28, 2025

August 28, 2025

A city blog post highlighted personal impacts, with one family avoiding a second car purchase for a commute to Burbank,...

Westside Classics Car Show Set to Roll into Venice Beach

August 28, 2025

August 28, 2025

The show will feature a curated lineup of vintage sedans, low-slung cruisers, and unique custom builds The Westside Classics Car...

Westside Chefs Shine at the Manhattan Beach Food & Wine Festival in September

August 28, 2025

August 28, 2025

South Bay’s Culinary Festival Returns With Two Nights of Food, Wine, and Music Santa Monica, Westchester, Los Angeles, and West...

(Video) Public Transit Returns to Pacific Palisades

August 27, 2025

August 27, 2025

The Return is Part of a Broader Summer Overhaul, Aiming to Boost Connectivity Across the Westside Public Transit Returns to...

Raising Cane’s Plans New Location on 3rd Street Promenade

August 27, 2025

August 27, 2025

The move marks the chain’s latest expansion in California Louisiana-based fast-food chain Raising Cane’s confirmed to the Santa Monica Mirror...