Email List

To join our e-mail list, please enter your e-mail address. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Shows

Sections

Classifieds

Directories

Contact

News, Apb, Santa Monica, Police Department

Santa Monica Police Arrest Homeless Man, 60, For Assaulting Two People In Alley

Alert Police Blotter: Eminent Domain.

Posted Nov. 5, 2012, 1:09 am

Tim Broughton / Mirror Contributor

A 60-year-old homeless man was arrested on Thursday, Oct. 25 for assaulting two victims he had accused of stealing “hash” from “his alley.”

Two days earlier on Tuesday, Oct. 23, at 5:21 p.m. officers of the Santa Monica Police Department went to the 1300 block of Lincoln Boulevard in response to a report of an assault that had occurred.

The officers were also informed the victim knew the suspect. When the officers arrived they discovered that there were in fact two victims, and the officers spoke with them in order to discover what had happened.

The officers learned that the suspect was indeed known to the victims, and this suspect had accused the victims of stealing his “hash.”

The victims also told the officers the suspect had been laying claim to the alley as his own personal domain, telling everyone that it was “his alley,” and that he had a habit of becoming assaultive whenever any other homeless people wished to enjoy the alley.

On this occasion the suspect had been attempting to hit victim number one, when victim number two had intervened.

The suspect then hit victim number two on the arms with a wooden stick, and then with a PVC pipe.

The victims then summoned the police and one of them then attempted to follow this suspect, but lost track of him as he fled westbound on Santa Monica Boulevard and out of sight.

The officers were not able to apprehend the suspect at that time; however at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, Oct. 25 the suspect went to the Santa Monica Police Department in order to comply with an order that requires him to register each month as a sex offender.

At that time the officers were informed of his presence at the police headquarters by the desk staff so they arrested him there and then.

This homeless man was charged with assault with a deadly weapon and violation of parole. Bail was not granted.

Editor's Note: These reports are part of a regular police coverage series entitled "Alert Police Blotter" (APB), which injects some minor editorial into certain police activities in Santa Monica. Not all of the Mirror's coverage of incidents involving police are portrayed in this manner. More serious crimes and police-related activities are regularly reported without editorial in the pages of the Santa Monica Mirror and its website, smmirror.com.

Post a comment

Comments

Nov. 6, 2012, 7:25:50 am

Richard said...

If its someone homeless,. they are there in a flash. I informed not one but three officers on Promenade of an assault. They were busy relaxing. They did absolutely nothing. Officer Ortiz ---Told me to calm down. Contacted Department,. asked to be contacted. No Reply at All.. Read the Reviews of SM.P.D. online. All Horrible

Nov. 14, 2012, 2:38:15 am

Jeff Nacht said...

They were not here in a flash. But, he' the 60 year old, was wearing a flash, warm up! It takes time. If you are on the Promenade, find an ambassador, and stand down.

Jul. 30, 2013, 1:52:25 pm

Jeff Nacht said...

Discrimination emanates to eminent domain...

SM Mirror TV