Full name: Robert T. Holbrook
Endorsements: Mayor Bobby Shriver, former Mayor Paul Rosenstein, County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky, Coalition of Santa Monica City Employees.
Current office/profession: Santa Monica City Council member, Community Pharmacist.
Previous Experience: Served two terms as a Santa Monica-Malibu Board of Education Member, and president. I have served as a Santa Monica City Councilmember and Mayor for the past 20 years.
Education: Santa Monica College Associate of Arts (AA) degree. University of Southern California, School of Pharmacy, Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D).
Date/place of birth: Santa Monica (Ocean Park), CA October 14, 1941.
Biography: Bob Holbrook was born at St. Catherine’s Hospital Ocean Park (Santa Monica). Attended Roosevelt and John Muir Elementary Schools, John Adams Junior High School and graduated Santa Monica High School. He is a graduate USC School of Pharmacy. He served six years in the California Air National Guard before being honorably discharged. He was elected to Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District Board of Education in 1983, and served two terms. Subsequently, he was elected to Santa Monica City Council in 1990 and has served ever since. He has represented Community Pharmacist for the past 45 years.
Spouse/Children: Married to Jean Ann for 43 years. Children Bob, Cindy and Craig.
Neighborhood of Residence: North of Montana
Community Activities: Santa Monica City Councilmember, member of the Board of Directors of the Santa Monica, Chapter of the American Red Cross, Member of the Santa Monica Sister City Association, Life Member of the Santa Monica History Museum.
Candidate Statement: I was born in Santa Monica, attended Santa Monica schools, raised my family, and served as a community pharmacist here. Maybe that’s why as a council member, my decisions are always driven by residents’ priorities and concerns:
• The strongest police and fire/paramedic departments. People must be safe.
• Excellent public schools. They benefit not just students, but the whole community. As a former school board member, I understand the City must help its schools. Santa Monica-Malibu Schools have been severely affected by the financial woes of the State of California. We have reached a point that the City must increase its support of the our public schools or watch the deterioration of our most valuable asset. I will support our schools.
• A homeless policy that moves people into housing and does NOT enable them to live on our streets. I will continue to build programs that provide housing first and return people to their hometowns.
• Clean beaches and ocean. We must continue working aggressively to reduce bacteria and toxic chemicals flowing into Santa Monica Bay.
• Santa Monica Airport. The FAA agreement expires in 2015. I will work with the community to plan future resident-friendly airport uses.
• Light rail. I support a thorough public process to insure the safest and best possible service for Santa Monica.
• I will continue protecting Santa Monica’s natural beauty and ambience. We must preserve what we love about Santa Monica. I bring commitment, experience, and profound respect for residents to the council. I am eager to continue working for you.