On Friday, Feb. 25, at 10:34 a.m., officers went to the McDonalds restaurant, located on Second Street and Colorado Avenue, in response to a report of an assault with a deadly weapon. When they arrived, they spoke with the victim, who told them that he had entered the bathroom and had been confronted with the sight of a man (the suspect) shaving in the sink (and lovin’ it).
The victim had told this man that he couldn’t do that, to which the man had said, “**** you, ***hole.” The man then flailed his arm (with the razor in his hand) at the victim, almost striking him. The victim had then (wisely) left the bathroom, and this man had then run from the location.
The officers went in search of this “bladerunner,” and found him on the corner of Second Street and Broadway Street. The officers then attempted to detain the suspect, but he would not listen to them. Rather than just giving up on their attempts, the officers persevered, and eventually detained this man.
Upon further investigation the officers determined that the assault with a deadly weapon allegation was unfounded, and instead thought that the correct charge should be assault. The victim did not desire an arrest on this account, so the officers arrested this 23-year-old homeless chap, and charged him for obstruction of justice, and failing to follow officers’ instructions. His bail was set at $1,000.
Editor’s Note: This report is part of regular police coverage series entitled “Alert Police Blotter” (APB), which injects some minor editorial into certain police activities in Santa Monica. Not all of the Mirror’s coverage of incidents involving police are portrayed in this manner. More serious crimes and police-related activities are regularly reported without editorial in the pages the Santa Monica Mirror and its website, smmirror.com.