Help Reduce Carbon Emissions and Save Our Blue Skies On Clean Air Day
By Dolores Quintana
There are two ways to honor California Clean Air Day in Santa Monica, one of which lasts until October 10. On Wednesday, October 4, Santa Monica’s Big Blue Bus will provide free rides systemwide in celebration of California Clean Air Day. An initiative spearheaded by the Coalition for Clean Air, California Clean Air Day is a statewide program founded on the belief that collective experiences and individual actions can enhance air quality and safeguard public health.
In another bid to reduce car emissions and promote eco-friendly transportation alternatives, the annual Bike It, Walk It, Bus It event returns to Santa Monica. The Big Blue Bus is once again leading the charge by offering students free rides during this initiative, which runs from October 2 to October 6, 2023.
Two Simple Ways for K-12 Santa Monica Students to Enjoy Free Big Blue Bus Rides during Bike It, Walk It, Bus It Week:
- Utilize Your GoPass TAP Card
- Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District (SMMUSD) students can benefit from Metro’s GoPass Program. This program grants students the ability to ride for free on Metro, Big Blue Bus, and 11 other participating transit agencies in Los Angeles County at any time, including during Bike It, Walk It, Bus It Week!
- Attending an SMMUSD school but not yet enrolled in the GoPass Program? Reach out to your school administrator to acquire your complimentary GoPass TAP card. For additional information, visit: metro.net/gopass
- Present Your Valid School ID to the Operator
- When boarding the Big Blue Bus, simply display your valid school ID to the operator, and you can enjoy free rides throughout Bike It, Walk It, Bus It Week! Don’t possess a school ID? No problem – we also accept a current report card, class schedule, or an official letter from your school verifying your enrollment.
Don’t miss out on the savings or the opportunity to save the planet and breathe fresher air.